The NETSCOUT Team Provides Expertise to Assist Large South American Company Defend Against Overwhelming DDoS Attacks
As COVID 19 swept across South America and pressed countries in the region to go into quarantine, many organizations began to acknowledge that there was an uncontrolled increase in DDoS attacks throughout the area. One of the largest companies in the energy sector was finding that their mitigation capacity was consistently being overwhelmed by the attacks and were looking for help to ensure that they could continue to offer availability and services to their internal as well as external customers.
Due to a strong ongoing relationship, NETSCOUT was asked to come in and assist with the issue. The NETSCOUT team suggested a layered defense strategy augmenting their current mitigation capability by employing Sightline with TMS integrated with Arbor Cloud. This layered defense which is endorsed by a variety of analysts provides granular control of the visibility and mitigation of local traffic, while also handling upstream attacks that threaten to overwhelm both local capacity and peering links. They chose NETSCOUT to assist in this situation primarily due to 3 factors.
- Prior established working relationship between technical resources from both organizations.
- Familiarity with the implementation, configuration and administration of our technology.
- High level of confidence in the value of our global mitigation capacity, our managed services and ASERT team’s expertise and our PoP ( Point of Presence) in Brazil.
After the initial emergency engagement to get the current DDoS Attacks under control by employing Arbor Cloud, the organization moved forward with a purchase of Arbor Cloud to protect their system going forward. The implementation effort and initial recommendations around a layered defense provided by NETSCOUT Resources prompted the organization to look at other NETSCOUT products for following reasons:
- Augment their DDoS mitigation capability to attend to a variety of other potential attacks that could require a hybrid or layered approach to DDoS mitigation.
- Attain visibility into their network traffic for operations and network engineering needs.
- For both of these they looked at and purchased Sightline and TMS (Threat Mitigation System).
Because of an established relationship, the organization’s initial instinct was that the NETSCOUT team would be the solution to the ongoing DDoS Attacks. After further inspection through the engagement and exposure to the expertise provided by the NETSCOUT Team, they realized the value the NETSCOUT Team and NETSCOUT products would deliver to their security, operations and engineering teams.