ASERT Threat Research Lead
Richard Hummel has over a dozen years of experience in the intelligence field and is currently the Threat Intelligence Research Lead for NETSCOUT's ASERT Research Team. Previously, he served as Manager and Principal Analyst on the FireEye iSIGHT Intelligence’s Financial Gain team. He began his career as a Signals Intelligence Analyst with the United States Army. During the course of his service he became certified in Digital Network Intelligence and supported multiple operations overseas including a deployment to Iraq.
After departing from the Army as an enlisted soldier, he began contracting work as a Computer Network Operations analyst in support of the Army. During his tenure as a contractor, he developed many methods and procedures for conducting Cyber Discovery and trained analysts at Army INSCOM HQ's. At FireEye iSIGHT Intelligence, he led a team of technical analysts in the tracking, reporting, and analysis of various cyber crime related malware families.
- Feb 04, 2022—What Happened in the Second Half of 2021?
- Jan 26, 2021—Crossing the 10 Million Mark: DDoS Attacks in 2020
- Jun 23, 2020—Last Week in DDoS...
- Apr 21, 2020—Measuring the Cruellest Month
Videos and Webinars
- —Key Finding – NETSCOUT Threat Intelligence Report 1st Half 2021 – 7 Attack Vectors in 7 Months—Video
- —Key Finding – NETSCOUT Threat Intelligence Report 1st Half 2021 – Botnet Exposé—Video
- —Key Finding – NETSCOUT Threat Intelligence Report 1st Half 2021 – Connectivity Supply Chain Under Attack—Video
- —Key Finding – NETSCOUT Threat Intelligence Report 1st Half 2021 – Triple Extortion—Video
- —Key Finding – NETSCOUT Threat Intelligence Report 1st Half 2021 - ISPs Face DDoS Extortion Attacks—Video
- —Supply Chain Buzz: A masterclass on cybersecurity with Richard Hummel—Webinar
- —Threat Intelligence Report 1H 2021 - Key Findings—Video
- —The Banker (UK): The Rising Threat of DDoS Attacks
- —The Verge: Microsoft says it mitigated the largest DDoS attack ever recorded
- —ZDNet: What's worse: A terabit DDoS attack or triple extortion ransomware?
- —L’Agefi Hebdo (FR): Managing DDoS attacks risks in finance is becoming an imperative
- —RCR Wireless News (US) DDoS attacks saw “radical change” and record levels in the first half of 2020
- —TechTarget: The Mirai IoT botnet holds strong in 2020