Gain Insight Into OTT Subscriber Behavior
A large North American Carrier Service Provider (CSP) wanted to improve their understanding of mobile applications and Over-the-Top (OTT) services beyond the “out-of-the-box” capabilities of the nGenius® Business Analytics (nBA) MicroStrategy application.
- The CSP wanted to address the following:
- Most popular mobile applications with subscribers
- OTT and mobile applications generating the most traffic
- Impact of external events on application performance and usage patterns
- Variations in subscriber experience with applications by customer geolocation
Lacking internal resources with the necessary expertise, this CSP engaged with the NETSCOUT® Global Service Organization (GSO) to develop specialized dashboards.
In order to provide multi-dimensional analysis of application performance from customer, handset and network perspectives, NETSCOUT’s GSO Smart Data Services team enriched nBA data with Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) traffic classification information. This data was then indexed per mobile application and service to yield the following insights in alignment with privacy guidelines.
- Mobile Application Usage & Users Trend Analysis
- Top OTT Video Streaming Application Quality
- Cell Location Analysis by Cell/Cities/Regions
- Poor OTT Application Usage Experience by Location
By incorporating higher-level classification categories into the dashboards for education, gaming, and subscription video, the CSP was able to get clarity on changes in subscriber activity and resulting network utilization.
The ability to incorporate new application data into custom dashboards improved the service provider’s ability to proactively manage dynamic shifts in service usage/ performance, cost-effectively mitigate network impacts, and guide ongoing geomarketing efforts.
Empowered with a customized set of flexible dashboards the service provider was able to:
- Improve visibility to mobile application performance
- Extend use and adoption of the deployed nBA solution