North American Cable Operator Assures Carrier WiFi Services
Major Cable Operator
North America, United States
- Provide a seamless, high-quality user experience over new WiFi infrastructure
- Understand the availability, usage and quality of service
- Cost-effectively deploy WiFi infrastructure with no prior knowledge of demand or usage patterns
- Provided greater visibility to hotspot demand, performance, and usage
- Enabled customer to optimize WiFi bandwidth, saving the company millions of dollars within the first six months
- Allowed the operator to quickly address degradation and downtime to assure a positive user experience
- Provided a single monitoring platform capable of scaling to a national footprint while supporting voice, data, and video services
A major cable provider’s operations span over half of the United States to serve more than 10 million residential and business customers with video, high-speed data and voice offerings. More than 60% of the company’s customers subscribe to two or more of these services, with nearly one-third receiving all three.
With the nationwide rollout of a new WiFi hotspot service, they needed to assure the performance and availability of service as well as provide meaningful data to understand usage patterns across 2000+ hub sites located across multiple strategic locations. Because all existing users would have access to the WiFi infrastructure as part of their service bundle, maintaining satisfaction levels through this additional service was an essential consideration to keeping existing users happy, building brand loyalty, and reducing customer churn.
The nGeniusONE® service assurance solution gave the cable operator visibility into the health and performance of their WiFi services, assuring service availability and customer experience. Additionally, the solution provided visibility into subscriber usages patterns of the WiFi service which was critical for capacity planning. They also used the solution to monitor their Video on-Demand (VoD) service to assure application performance, service levels, and to help with network troubleshooting
The NETSCOUT® solution gave the cable operator visibility into its aggregation core where WiFi traffic authenticates, providing them with visibility into the health and usage of the service. The solution monitored their Domain Name Services (DNS) servers, HTML, and other service enablers and proactively alerted the IT team when traffic patterns deviate from a baseline norm, providing detailed and meaningful data about imminent issues and where they reside.