Visibility to Third-Party Application Performance Eliminates Contractual Dispute
A North American broadband communications and video services provider was caught off guard by a sudden increase in customer care center calls reporting unacceptable lags in email access. As the provider had outsourced email services to a third-party vendor, they lacked the visibility to proactively identify service degradation and were unable to effectively investigate and troubleshoot the reported issues.
With the help of NETSCOUT® Service and Delivery team, the service provider extended the reach of the deployed nGeniusONE®platform to include the email solution.
- Application profiles were set up within minutes to verify traffic ingestion.
- Session level KPIs based on IMAP and POP protocols facilitated outage investigation.
By enabling application configuration profiles the service provider gained visibility to the third-party application through meaningful dashboards and actionable service degradation alerts. In addition, forensic data analysis enabled isolation of root cause, expediting Mean Time to Repair (MTTR) efforts.
With application visibility implemented the service provider used the Service Monitor to investigate the reported latencies.
- Using nGeniusONE, the service provider noted an increase in multiple TCP DUPLICATE ACKS occurring in conjunction with a reduction in client retransmissions immediately following a routine software change made by the vendor.
- The service provider documented accurate volumetric data and held the vendor accountable for the latency in service access experienced by its customers.
- The incorporation of a KPI framework improved the service provider’s negotiation position during contract renewal.