Major National Retailer Turns to NETSCOUT to Identify Performance Issues In Key Distribution Centers
- Wire data was collected from centralized bottle-necks, which obscured where in the distribution center the traffic was coming from. A method was needed to mark the origination point of the traffic to help understand where problems were originating
- With new applications and services regularly being rolled out, IT had poor visibility into potential performance issues
- Call quality issues risked harming the customer experience and thus the reputation of the business
- Deployed multiple nGenius® Packet Flow Switches in main distribution centers to condition and filter traffic
- nGeniusONE® platform deployed for voice and application monitoring
- Dashboard and service dependency maps key to visualizing issues quickly
- Saved more than $1 million purchasing nGenius Packet Flow Switch instead of an alternate vendor while gaining access to better features that deliver greater value
- Streamlined escalations and allowed tool consolidation by enabling multiple teams to leverage the same tools
- Out-of-the box functionality enabled IT to quickly react to new application deployments and assure service delivery
This major national retail chain offers trendy, upscale merchandise at lower costs to its customers. To support this mission, the company’s more than 300,000 employees staff almost two thousand stores supplied by strategically located distribution centers. With more than $50B in annual revenue, over 25 million mobile app users and in excess of a million daily visitors to their website, this retailer relies heavily on their complex, distributed enterprise networks and customer impacting application services. To ensure that all services are running well for their customers and in these centers, the organization’s IT team requires always-on network performance.
For this national retailer, the performance of network communications between distribution centers, stores and applications is crucial to the business. Some retailers will say their distribution centers are more essential to them than their data center because if the distribution center is delayed in sending stock to stores, they lack what the customers come there to purchase. One of the biggest challenges was a lack of visibility into the network traffic generated by multiple distribution centers. A way was needed to mark and classify the wire data, which could feed the right information to the tools used by the different IT teams. This initial traffic classification and filtering helped IT staff identify where the problems reside so they could be resolved.
As new applications and services were being rolled out, IT needed a way to view their impact on the network and quickly identify service performance issues. Without this visibility, triaging was an exercise in frustration.
Also of concern were the company’s voice services, which are a critical application with customers. Call quality issues risked harming the customer experience and thus the reputation of the business. It was very important to the Voice teams to have visibility into call quality, to catch problems as they arise.
In order to ensure that all the retailer’s services run well across all of its distribution centers, the IT team turned to NETSCOUT®. IT deployed several nGenius Packet Flow Switches (PFS) in the main distribution centers to condition and filter traffic, then feed the data to disparate tools including the InfiniStream® appliances for analysis by nGeniusONE and the IT teams researching the issues.
The nGeniusONE Service Assurance platform with Adaptive Service Intelligence™ (ASI) technology was used to investigate and identify service assurance issues. High level dashboards were configured to monitor voice traffic over time. Application issues are investigated ad hoc, with on demand views created as problems are identified with a goal to getting at the root cause as quickly as possible.
NETSCOUT Solution in Action
The nGeniusONE solution allows IT to create dashboard and service dependency maps to quickly visualize network bottlenecks and pinpoint slow responsiveness. NETSCOUT provides much needed visibility into voice and application issues and enables IT to effectively monitor the entire IT environment. PFS filters and conditions traffic to feed the right data to the right teams.
In addition to addressing the company’s voice communication issues, the NETSCOUT solutions were able to solve other issues, including the identification of a bug in application code that was causing network slowness, and a firewall that was blocking DHCP, preventing developers from working.
IT depends on this tool every day to analyze voice and application issues, as well as to classify and deliver traffic to the Security team.
For this major national retailer, the NETSCOUT solution has proven to be a critical success story for IT. Amongst the benefits, IT has:
- Saved more than a million dollars purchasing nGenius PFS instead of an alternate vendor while gaining access to better features that deliver greater value.
- Streamlined escalations and allowed tool consolidation by enabling multiple teams to leverage the same tools.
- Out-of-the box functionality enabled IT to quickly react to new application deployments and ensure service delivery.
This powerful solution is driving much needed efficiencies across the IT organization.
Packet Flow Switches (PFS) and Taps
Ready for Anything As your traffic volume grows, so too should your readiness to respond to issues as they arise. The NETSCOUT nGenius packet flow switch (PFS) and TAPs family enables multiple IT groups to aggregate...