Global Fashion Retailer Reduces MTTR with NETSCOUT
- Network operations team struggled with chronic outages and high MTTR
- Home grown tools lacked visibility into application, network, and VoIP performance
- Payment authorizations affected, threatening revenue for the company
- E-commerce sites suffered frequent outages and slowdowns, harming customer experience
- VoIP issues made communications less reliable
- NetFlow visibility improves capacity planning efforts between stores, data centers, and distribution centers ensuring stores have sufficient bandwidth going into busy holiday season
- Key workflow maps transactions end-to-end to determine if client, server, or database is source of problem
- TruView™ Central appliances with FlowView and VoIPView modules enable testing and analysis to reveal why calls fail
- Improves customer experience and protects revenue opportunities by resolving ongoing intermittent issues that previous tools failed to uncover
- Dramatically improves MTTR to e-commerce site and thousands of stores worldwide
- Improves network availability and performance, especially during busy holiday shopping periods
- IT team able to be more proactive in managing network capacity with improved visibility into trending and peak utilization metrics
This nearly half-century-old U.S.-based global fashion business supports thousands of retail stores domestically, internationally, and online under several iconic brand names. With thousands of company-owned and franchise stores in nearly 100 countries around the world, this retailer has a workforce of 140,000 employees that rely on constant connectivity to conduct daily business to generate in excess of $12 billion in revenue annually.
As a global enterprise, this retail organization is highly dependent on always-on, 24/7 communications, processes and customer interactions. As part of their omnichannel strategy for driving growth, integration between retail stores, e-commerce web-sites, and mobile applications are key to their business success, as is the supply chain which drives it.
This retailer has emphasized their use of technology, innovation and scale as competitive advantages to help them bridge the gap between the growing digital world and their physical stores. This creates a complex interdependency of back end services to support the demands of customers who want to view products and place orders via mobile app, online or in stores and receive a seamless shopping experience. This puts pressure on the supply chain to respond rapidly to sales needs.
Frequent outages and slowdowns within the company’s e-commerce site, as well as issues effecting point-of-sale (POS) payment authorizations threatened to harm the reputation of the business, negatively impacting company revenues.
Chronic network outages and high mean-time-to-repair (MTTR) left the network operations team struggling to find solutions. Unfortunately, home grown monitoring tools lacked sufficient visibility into application, network, and VoIP performance, leaving IT in a bind. Retail store operations and supply chain partners were being adversely affected, leaving IT spending too much time in the war room trying to uncover the root cause of the issues.
The retailer’s IT team turned to NETSCOUT® to address its network performance and communications problems. TruView Central appliances with FlowView and VoIPView modules were deployed in two data centers, enabling the team to rapidly resolve service degradations in their voice and application networks.
NetFlow provided visibility into store, Internet and WAN traffic between retail outlets, data centers, and distribution centers – ensuring that stores had enough bandwidth during the company’s busy season.
NETSCOUT Solution in Action
NETSCOUT’s TruView solution enables IT to uncover the source of quality-of-service (QoS), jitter, delay or packet loss issues pinpointing the source of call failures. IT teams can troubleshoot issues using the VoIP traffic and SNMP segmentation which reveals the call origination and destination.
By mapping transactions end-to-end through the network, TruView provides the information needed for IT to determine whether the root cause of service degradations is the client, server, or database, speeding resolution. TruView reduces mean-time-to-information (MTTI), which is critically important for reducing time wasted in the war room.
NetFlow visibility into bandwidth usage between stores, data centers and distribution centers allows IT to dramatically improve capacity planning, to ensure bandwidth is available to accommodate the customer demand and increased traffic volumes during the holiday busy season as well as the rest of the year.
The NETSCOUT solution has been a tremendous success for this global fashion retailer. As a result of the TruView Central appliances with FlowView and VoIPView modules, the IT team has dramatically improved MTTR for its e-commerce site and thousands of stores worldwide. From a business perspective, avoiding and quickly resolving delays at checkout, both on-line on the web site, or in-line at the stores, ensures a quality customer experience and protects this Retailer’s revenue.
From an IT perspective, the rapid discovery of root cause of ongoing intermittent issues, that previous tools failed to uncover, helped this retailer’s IT teams resolve chronic ongoing issues, freeing them up to focus on other projects. Solving these issues improved network availability and performance, especially during busy holiday shopping periods, reducing customer impact.
The world class visibility into WAN utilization provided by TruView has enabled the IT team to be more proactive in managing network capacity with improved visibility into trending and peak utilization metrics.