In today’s dynamic service delivery environments, applications need a highly available and reliable network path between infrastructure elements. It is essential that infrastructure capacity is appropriately sized to support anticipated and evolving application and service traffic flows.
Network capacity planning is about understanding and balancing the needs and expectations of your networks, services, applications and users. Network architects and engineers need detailed understanding to reveal capacity shortfalls, and see how resources are being consumed to keep service delivery environments running at peak levels of efficiency and performance. Reliable knowledge enables network, application and service architects to best leverage existing IT technology investments to increase operational efficiency and assure service and operational continuity.
Proper capacity planning begins with accurate and relevant measurements that assess all aspects traffic flowing across the network. It is simply not enough to only measure overall traffic utilization. IT architects and engineers need holistic insight into both application and network traffic to understand which applications are using which links, when specific applications are active, and who is using which applications.
The nGeniusONE Unified Performance Management platform enables IT architects and engineers to understand all interrelated aspects of service delivery to support efficient and accurate capacity planning activities. Leveraging the platform’s deep insight into service and application flows across an end-to-end network, IT planners can effectively track and analyze usage patterns and traffic growth trends to make better decisions about optimizing bandwidth, rescheduling activities or redirecting traffic flows. In addition to providing enterprise-wide baselines and forecasts, the nGenius solution goes beyond basic layer 2 and 3 network traffic utilization, nGeniusONE tracks all layer 3-7 traffic to identify which applications consume bandwidth and how one application’s performance may impact another application.
The nGeniusONE platform provides the critical information needed to baseline performance, and identify deviations to assess the impact of traffic growth or the implications of a new service on the existing infrastructure helps Application and network architects to:
- Assure the network is optimized for business-critical services by identifying where resources are over- and under-utilized and adjusting to properly balance the workload
- Proactively manage network congestion by reporting on bandwidth growth and forecasting capacity shortfalls and understand cross-application or service impact on performance and network infrastructure
- Tune traffic to optimize resources by identifying over- and under-utilized (physical and logical) segments so you can redistribute load and balance costs
- Baseline current traffic patterns and response times to assure that new applications can be supported during peak activity periods and to watch for changes over time to quickly assess whether the existing infrastructure can support the increased traffic volumes associated with the rollout of new services
- Plan end-to-end network capacity to identify the demands of individual devices and the effect of changes on the infrastructure
- Accurately assess the impact of new services on the backbone by measuring and analyzing backbone traffic to establish a baseline and traffic flow patterns
- Improved service availability through increased visibility providing the impact of all traffic on bandwidth, SLAs, and QoS policies
- Identify where saturation of specific links or regions could occur to make incremental adjustments to capacity over time to improve resource management
- Gain quantifiable business justification to support data-driven decisions for capacity expansion or new infrastructure purchases by understanding and reporting on which applications consume network resources in order to postpone upgrades and justify growth & policy decisions